Thursday, February 25, 2010

2/24/10 Daily notes Gomez-Pena, Walker, Lasansky

Guillermo Gomez-Pena - was trying to portray the American view of Latinos, public enemy number one. I think he actually is portraying his own insecurities. I didn't see anything in his art that I felt represented the view point of anyone I know. The only part of his performance that I appreciated was the heart bottle that he would blow into as though he was creating a heart beating.
Kara Walker - draws beautifully and I appreciate her art. I found some of her work to be offensive, but it makes a point. Her work is backed by history and pain. I really like her style of using silhouettes and her panorama, but I found part of it disturbing, especially the lady dancing as she gives birth.
by Mauricio Lasansky's "The Nazi Drawings" were interesting and also conveyed history and pain. I think the message convey was watered down from the way the felt.

Why is this art political?
Gomez-Pena - Seems to be anti-American, because of the way he thinks Americans feel about him. Walker is showing her views on slavery and white Southerners. Lasansky is portraying his anti Nazi viewpoint.
How is it displayed to the audience?
Gomez-Pena uses shock value, Walker protests in a pleasing manner, Lasansky uses more of a muted shock value.

No comments:

Post a Comment