Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Consumption (Advertising kimono)

I chose my project because of the consumption of magazines, books and newspaper, paper in general. I narrowed my focus to fashion magazines, and then my focus changed to fashion and magazines. As I scanned "In Style Magazine" I tore out the interesting pictures quickly, in one pass. I altered the pictures and created my own advertisements as collages. A lot of the pictures in the magazine where ridiculous before I redesigned them. If my ads were added to a magazine, they'd fit in well. I took a face and added sunglasses, a lady was stomping a car, a huge dog sat behind a lady in a tub, a nude lady was behind a large bottle of nail polish, etc.



I was impressed by the kimonos we saw at the Mint Museum the other day and thought that would be a good way in which to convey my message. Although I do not sew, I was able to make a modified kimono as a canvas for my ads on consumption. I used iron on transfers and my scanner to produce the look I wanted. My project was well received. Perhaps I will create a kimono out of silk and cover it with ads.

No comments:

Post a Comment