Monday, May 3, 2010

5/03/10 Daily Notes (The McColl Center)

Fried by Franco Mondini Ruiz caused a lot of discussion among several of us. I agree with one of the students, that it is sad that someone can make $149.00 selling a hamburger stuck to a canvas, while most of us talented individuals struggle and will probably never have the opportunity to show or art work publicly. I find his work whimsical, but it doesn't hold my interest.

I collect art (my opinion of art) in many forms. I have antique syrup piggy banks. Most people threw these away fifty years ago, after they drained the syrup. But some people, saw their beauty and kept them. I collect glass antique animal candy containers, again, most people threw them away after removing the candy. Fortunately, some people saw their beauty and saved them. I have a wheel-o, a toy Thunderbird, pottery, wicker baskets and all sorts of advertising art. Most people throw these things away as they lose their utilitarian purpose. Some things that I like now, I did not like when they were first introduced to the public.

I hope that one day, I will come to terms with Ruiz' art. And I will pick it up in antique stores and the flea market.

No comments:

Post a Comment