Monday, May 3, 2010

04/28/10 Daily Notes (The Harvey B. Gantt Center)

Wow! David C. Driskell and Michael B. Platt are wonderful artists. I am not sure which I like better, because their work is totally different, and both are intriguing.

Platt's work does have a spiritual appeal, the way he layered print over print. While I was looking at a picture of a woman dressed in white, standing in the forest, a person stood between the picture and me. For a moment I could see a bald eagle instead of the woman. Perhaps that was her spirit.
The first piece I saw, as we walked into the gallery, had a layer of Christmas lights. This picture drew me to it. I can see using his work as inspiration for my own work.

Driskell's work reminds me of when I was a child and would draw with crayons, then cover the drawing with black and scratch out a picture. I appreciate that he shows multiple copies of the same print, so you can see progression from one print to the next, as he make changes to the background or foreground.

No comments:

Post a Comment